Tuesday 8 December 2015

Breakfast - my favorite meal of the day


We all know it`s the most important meal of the day, luckily it`s my fave too! I don`t have time for a cooked breckkie - who does? and I don`t want a big breakfast, just a healthy, yummy one. I know that eggs don`t take long but it`s one thing I`m not fussed on first thing - although brunch is a different story, and usually at a healthy cafe on the weekend - even better!

I`m often asked what I eat if I don`t eat processed sugar and gluten. Don`t forget I also try to stick to clean eating principles too - nothing processed with added chemicals, which means making fresh foods from wholesome ingredients. But back to breakfast - which some days is just a quick NutriBullet smoothie or a piece of gluten free toast with honey and sliced banana and a cup of tea - hmm yum! Although these types of loaves are dearer than a normal loaf, they usually last me about 3 weeks because I only eat carbs at breakfast. I always choose a  seeded variety over whole grains. I know I could make my own but I`d rather spend my cooking time making healthy snacks which are often hard to buy and really expensive. Making healthy choices doesn`t have to make your life hard, it`s supposed to make it better, it`s about choosing the healthiest possible options.


But when it`s a hot summer morning there is nothing like a bowl of cereal with chilled milk of your choice - mine being A2 milk. So what`s my special blend?


This cereal has it all - taste, texture and goodness that lasts till lunch. So what`s in it?


A small serve of gluten free cereal - there is a great selection in the health aisle of supermarkets these days, but watch out for added sugars - add your own honey for sweetness. My new faves that I add to everything is crispy Coconut Flakes, so good for your gut health, crunchy and tasty, and a spoon full of  delicious Tropical Blend Seed Mix. This blend is so amazing that I bought 5 kilos of the stuff! yep, I`m loving it. I used to eat a lot of whole grains until I learnt the error of my ways, and this blend gives a similar nutty crunchy texture - gotta watch those sneaky seeds that get stuck in your teeth though. No cereal is complete without some fruit, so half a banana, strawberry and blueberries with a drizzle of honey and chilled milk.


It take two minutes to throw together and tastes amazing. Best of all, its filling, low GI which is slow energy burning, you`ll stay full longer with no high then low drops in energy, and it`s actually good for you with fresh antioxidants and fibre and protein. What more could you want.

What is your favorite quick and healthy breakfast? Leave a comment if are you a chia pudding fan or a green smoothie junkie or do you skip breakfast altogether? very naughty.

No comments:

Post a Comment